Sunday, December 9, 2007

Letter to Denver Parking Violations Bureau

I received a parking ticket not so long ago. I parked in a "Truck Loading Zone" for three minutes to grab something from a P.O. Box, actually brushed against the beady-eyed meter maid on my way into the UPS Store. I was most displeased upon returning to my car, which was tagged with one of those awful yellow envelopes. It was tucked under my wiper with the precision and malice of a Nazi. Alright, the guy who put it there, the guy I brushed against on my way into the store, was black. But still. Anyway, since the Parking Violations Bureau is always so picky [you park in a two-hour space for a two hours and one second, and you've got a ticket; you park in a 1st Tuesday zone at 8:01 AM, and you've got a ticket], I thought I'd be a little picky, too. The letter didn't work, by the way. They sent me a reply that said something like, "We received your letter, considered your argument, then used it to wipe our ass with."


Denver Parking Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 46500
Denver, CO 80201-6500


To Whom It May Concern:

I received a parking violation (citation #107496712) on May 8th, 2007, at 1500 Larimer Street and choose to dispute. Please allow this letter to serve as my argument against the ticket I received.

The officer's comments on the ticket note that a passenger vehicle was parked in a zone for which it had no permit. My vehicle was parked in a zone marked "Truck Loading Zone." Perhaps this sign is not as specific enough, as, according to standard American definitions of the word "truck," my vehicle is a truck---the first definitions of "truck" in each of the following dictionaries are as follows: "a wheeled vehicle, in particular" [Oxford American Dictionary]; "any of various forms of vehicle for carrying goods and materials" [Webster's Dictionary]. Because my vehicle is wheeled, and because it was carrying goods and materials at the time of ticketing, I must presume that the reason I received a ticket is because my vehicle is not the right kind of truck. If this is the case, your parking sign must note the particular kind of truck it means to allow; for instance, "Commercial Truck Loading Zone." Since your sign is not specific in what kind of truck is allowed to park in its zone, since the word "truck" is not specific enough to encourage me from parking my vehicle in that zone, and since there is no mention of requiring a permit, I don't believe there are logical or just grounds for my receiving this parking ticket.

I hope you understand how your sign at 1500 Larimer is misleading. Thank you for your time, and please consider making that sign more specific.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Kraft



No comments:

Post a Comment